How to Determine Which Home Improvement Projects Require Special Permits or Licenses

If you're a homeowner looking to make improvements to your property, it's important to know which projects require special permits or licenses. The only way to determine if your project needs a permit is to consult the city's construction and permit office. Most have information online that you can review, and they're also used to answering questions on the phone and in person. If you are the owner of an unoccupied residential property, you need a vacant residential property license.

This license helps the City keep track of properties that are not occupied and assists with security efforts. The requirements for sitting for the master electrician exam require that you hold an officer's license for two years, as required by section 1305,153 of the Texas Occupations Code, not a day laborer industrial electrician's license. No, a residential appliance installer license can only be assigned to a residential appliance installation contractor, unless the residential appliance installer owns more than 50% of the facility contracting company. Contractor licenses do not require exams.

While the state does not require residential appliance installation permits, section 1305,201 (a) of the Texas Electrical Safety and Licensing Act does not prohibit municipalities or regions from regulating residential appliance installers. For example, they may require appliance installers to obtain permits, pay fees, or to inspect their work when performing work in their municipality or region. If you have any questions about permits or licenses for your home improvement project, contact the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation Electrician Program at PO Box 12157 Austin, TX 78711.

Bella Vanderloo
Bella Vanderloo

Typical zombie aficionado. Extreme bacon fanatic. Lifelong music ninja. Friendly music fan. Proud twitter evangelist. Total travel ninja.

Leave Message

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *